Saturday, February 25, 2012

Numbers . . .

I'm reading my bible through chronologically this year . . . LOVING it! If you have never read your Bible through that way I highly recommend it! I am at the start of Numbers. I must confess, Leviticus, Numbers, and Dueteronomy, can get me down. Then you have Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Lamentations to look forward to, but something that has really helped me is as I've stated in earlier posts to read with a purpose, but also to read a study Bible. I'm currently reading a Scofield . . . the old one. Yes I have found a couple of occasions where I didn't agree with Mr. Scofield, but that keeps me sharp and makes me pay attention. On the whole he has been a great help. Did you realize that he was a pastor who designed this study Bible with his congregation in mind. As you read it you can definitely see the heart of the pastor coming through!
Yesterday I was in Numbers 4 and I was a little discouraged because the day before I was in Numbers 3 and didn't get ONE thing! Not one thing to write down . . . I was sad. I was also not paying attention and rushing through and it was all names so I read even quicker so I'm sure it wasn't my Bible's fault. But that did spur me to yesterday to pray and ask God to give me something as I read. I expectantly opened my Bible to Numbers 4 and guess what . . . MORE names! And it was all about take these people from 30 to 50 years old and number them. Takes so and so from 30 to 50 and number them. My heart cried out to God and said, Please speak to me . . . I can't take another day like yesterday and as I read something struck me.
There were people in there God named and gave them a very specific job. People like Kohath, Gershon, and Merari. He gave them jobs like putting up the curtain, taking it down. Insignificant jobs that no one would ever see! I saw in that chapter that God has a job for everyone. Some jobs are big and some are small. God has something for me and for you. And when you do that job for the Lord it is NOT insignificant. It is very important! Also though, if God has given you a job to do and you don't do it, it doesn't get done! You are the only one who can do the job that God has given you!
Wasn't that a blessing? I'm so thankful I didn't give up and stop reading! God wants to talk to us every day through his word, if we will only expect it and listen!

No comments:

Post a Comment